April 18-23, April 25-30, May 1-6, and October 1-6, 2022: Think of it as immersion therapy for honing your fly fishing skills or for those new to fly fishing.
$3450 per person includes six nights lodging, all meals, classroom instruction, 5 days of instruction and guided fly fishing.
Healing Waters Lodge offers “Fish Like a Guide, But, Live Like a Client” fly fishing schools during the shoulder seasons in April, early May and October.
After breakfast, our guides will conduct a brief classroom instruction followed by guided fly fishing on local waters such as the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Madison, and Ruby, including some private access. Classroom instruction includes the following:
- The elements of a good fly cast: Loop control, loop shapes, grip, power application, back cast stop, fore cast stop; Timing of pause, foot stance, pickup, follow through; types of casts: single haul, double haul, reach, off shoulder, roll and roll pickup.
- Knots, leaders, lines, reels, rods, indicators, straight-line, swing, tying methods, .
- Reading water, dry fly fishing, nymphing, streamer fishing, setting proper drag, side to side pressure, landing quickly, run, netting fish, over playing fish, retrieving to boat, working the fly from bank through productive water
- Rod tip pressure, how to follow out of a heavy current.
- Streamer fishing: Sinking line, floating line, fishing methods while wading, classic down and across, casting streamer upstream and fast retrieve, dead drift with indicator.
- A brief overview of Entomology and fly selection
Our fly fishing school package includes single room occupancy, all meals at the lodge, and use of loaner equipment. Our guest rooms have two queen-sized beds, private bathroom, wifi, patios with fantastic views of the surrounding landscapes. Our cuisine is prepared fresh daily by our Chefs and include a hearty breakfast, stream-side lunches, appetizers followed by a fine dinner. Beer and wine are complimentary to your meals. We have an on-site Fly Shop equipped with loaner gear for our guests to use: rods, reels, waders, boots, walking sticks, and even rain jackets.
For more information or to book a trip to Healing Waters Lodge, please contact Mike Geary at 406-459-2030.