April 25 thru April 30, 2019: This is considered Graduate school for anglers with more experience with the emphasis of honing your skills. Think of it as immersion therapy. $3250 per person includes six nights and five days lodging, all meals, classroom instruction, 5 days of guided fly fishing.
May 2 thru May 7, 2019: This week we are concentrating our efforts on advancing the skill levels of novices to intermediates. We will transform you into casting machines along with teaching you the tools in becoming more self-reliant on the water. By the end week fish will tremble at your approach. $3250 per person includes six nights and five days lodging, all meals, classroom instruction, 5 days of guided fly fishing.
More information about our Fly Fishing Schools:
Healing Waters Lodge offers “Fish Like a Guide, But, Live Like a Client” fly fishing schools, typically during the shoulder season in April. After breakfast, our guides will conduct a brief classroom instruction followed by guided fly fishing on local waters such as the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Madison, and Ruby, including some private access. Classroom instruction includes the following:
- The elements of a good fly cast: Loop control, loop shapes, grip, power application, back cast stop, fore cast stop; Timing of pause, foot stance, pickup, follow through; types of casts: single haul, double haul, reach, off shoulder, roll and roll pickup.
- Knots, leaders, lines, reels, rods, indicators, straight-line, swing, tying methods, .
- Reading water, dry fly fishing, nymphing, streamer fishing, setting proper drag, side to side pressure, landing quickly, run, netting fish, over playing fish, retrieving to boat, working the fly from bank through productive water
- Rod tip pressure, how to follow out of a heavy current.
- Streamer fishing: Sinking line, floating line, fishing methods while wading, classic down and across, casting streamer upstream and fast retrieve, dead drift with indicator.
- A brief overview of Entomology and fly selection
Our fly fishing school package includes single room occupancy, all meals at the lodge, and use of loaner equipment. Our guest rooms have two queen-sized beds, private bathroom, wifi, patios with fantastic views of the surrounding landscapes. Our cuisine is prepared fresh daily by our Chefs and include a hearty breakfast, stream-side lunches, appetizers followed by a fine dinner. Beer and wine are complimentary to your meals. We have an on-site Fly Shop equipped with loaner gear for our guests to use: rods, reels, waders, boots, walking sticks, and even rain jackets.
For more information or to book a trip to Healing Waters Lodge, please contact Mike Geary at 406-459-2030.